Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Test Day

Well, I actually took the GMAT last week... I SURVIVED!

The GMAT was everything that I expected it to be. Some people laugh when I tel them that, but it's the truth. I studied the form of the GMAT for weeks before taking the test. I knew exactly what my computer screen would look like throughout the exam and I knew what it would be like to sit in a cubicle by myself on the computer from practicing the exam at the library. The questions were as hard as I expected but I felt confident throughout the entire exam.

Now for the unexpected. I decided to take the GMAT at Indiana University of Pennsylvania. I looked at locations close to Bloomsburg University but I didn't feel like having a long drive by myself, sitting for over three hours to take then driving myself back. IUP was the closet location to my actual house so my dad drove me. :) It was nice relaxing in the car with my dad on the way to the exam.

When I arrived at Pratt Hall to take my exam I found the room in the basement. It was a strange basement and I thought I was in the wrong place to be honest. Obviously most people must think they're in the wrong place because the student who was working the test center told me I was in the right place before I could even ask.

The room I walked into was an extremely small room with only one worker. I handed him my driver license and while he checked me in I was given a sheet with all of the rules that I had to read. Next, I had to put all of my personal belongings in a locker at lock it with a provide lock. I was made to leave my vest, scarf and watch in the locker as well as my purse. The only items I was allowed to take into the actual computer room were tissues that they provided, my driver license that had to stay on my desk face up during the exam as well as provided scratch paper. The next step of signing in was to sign my name into the computer and then put each hand on a vein reader twice to get a reading. Finally, I was checked in and ready to go. I now understand why it's important to show up 30 minutes before your test starts.

After a quick scan of my right hand the student worker unlocked the computer room with his key and then walked me into my cubicle and signed me into the computer system. I was told if I needed to take my sweater off to raise my hand and the worker would come and get it, I wasn't allowed to set it on my chair. It was a little intimidating to sit in a cubicle by myself knowing there was camera directly above me watching my every move. I took a deep breathe and began the exam. My rushing thoughts instantly became calm. I knew what to expect and before I knew it, it was time for my first 8 minute break. I took some sips of my water and talked to the worker for a few minutes to relax before returning to the exam.

Next was the first 75 minute session. After I finished, I had the option for a second 8 minute break but I decided to skip the break to keep going. By this point I was getting antsy and wanted to keep going. Of course 20 minutes into this section I felt the urge, but had to keep going since I skipped the break. Even if you don't feel the need to use the restroom, go anyway! Better safe than sorry. After what seemed like forever I finally finished the final section. What a relief! I then went through a five minute section where I confirmed all of personal information and gave some demographics. I then had two minutes to decided if I wanted my exam scored or not. I had no reason to cancel the exam so I had it scored. I was provided with my tentative score and then left the computer room. The analytical writing isn't included in the score. It takes about 20 days to get a final score.

Every since I finished my exam I've had a huge relief. I'm still planning to take the GMAT again, but at least I know have a score and I know that I can conquer the test. Grad school, here I come!

No comments:

Post a Comment